Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The point of a blog is to write about you life.


So while this may not be entirely weight loss related, it is in a larger sense of things. So talking about my insecurities is hard, but most of you that read this are family, or might as well be, so I hope you’ll love me anyways.

Most of the time I am happy with who I am and what I look like. That wasn’t always the case. High school was hard, as it is for most people; I was surrounded by tiny girls that dated up a storm and I generally always felt inadequate.

Then I took this low opinion of myself to college. Eventually I found myself in a relationship that was good for the most part, until it wasn’t. Looking back, I know I stayed in it because I was afraid that if I broke up with him I wouldn’t find anyone else. In the end, it was pretty ugly, but when it was finally over I realized how much the relationship had only been reinforcing my insecurities. Then and there I decided I deserved better. Through that and an amazing group of friends, I learned that I can say “I’m awesome and any guy would be lucky to have me just as I am” and really mean it. And yes, I would like to lose weight and be thinner, but if that doesn’t happen, life will still be great.

This week I have found myself slipping back into my old, self doubting habits. I have a date on Saturday, and in my head it’s a pretty big date. All of the other dates I’ve been on have been with people I don’t already know and don’t have a pre-existing friendship with, guys who I know that if the date doesn’t go well, I never have to see them again. This date is pretty much the opposite of that, we currently hang out a lot, and it’s a given that the hanging out will continue even if the dating part of things doesn’t. Given that I was the one that finally said “let’s have dinner” the running commentary in my head has been something like “why in the world does he want to have dinner with you?” And my friends can say “because you are amazing” until they are blue in the face and deep down I know they are right, but there will always be that voice in the back of my head screaming the doubts.

Sometimes I wonder if the quest to be the “perfect” size only reinforces those doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment